MonkeyLectric developed its own proprietary process for clear, waterproof encapsulation. Our process provides outstanding outdoor durability and clarity for LED and Solar products. We’ve proven the Reliability and cost effectiveness of our process through mass production of our line of Monkey Light bicycle lights. We now offer our services and expertise to the LED and Solar industries. Our process is ideal for outdoor electronic products with LEDs or Solar cells requiring high durability and waterproofing with good light transmission.
Services for Printed Circuit Boards and Assemblies:
- Clarity and light transmission in harsh outdoor environments
- Impact resistance
- UV resistance
- Abrasion resistance (clarity is maintained as the rubber material doesn’t scratch)
- Water, fuel and solvent resistance
- Vibration resistance
- Dirt and dust resistance
- Easy cleaning
- Molded lenses and strain reliefs
- Water-clear polyurethane rubber materials.
- Low temperature molding process (50C to 70C curing temperature)
- Non-pressurized molding process (suitable for fragile inserts)
- RoHS compliant, heavy-metal free.
- USA production facility, environmentally conscious.
- Polyurethane hardness available from Shore 70A to 45D
- Hermetic seal for up to IP68 devices
- Excellent adhesion to printed circuit boards and other materials
Contact us for more information.
What is Potting: A PCB is mounted in a plastic or metal enclosure. The enclosure and PCB are assembled and dried with warm air. The assembly is filled with liquid 2-part polyurethane and bubbles are removed. The polyurethane is cured with mild heating (we process at 50C to 70C). The completed part has high resistance to vibration, abrasion, shock and liquid ingress. The finished part is the entire filled enclosure with circuit board.
What is Encapsulation: Unlike potting, a reusable mold is used. The mold is filled with liquid polyurethane and the PCB is submerged into it. After curing, the encapsulated PCB is removed from the mold. Encapsulation allows a product with a consistent, clear rubberized polyurethane surface on all sides. The part can have LEDs on all sides with good light transmission.
What is Insert molding: Similar to encapsulation. The mold is designed to create a functional shape in the clear polyurethane after de-molding. Lenses can be molded into the part to achieve specific optical functions.
What is Overmolding: A machined or molded assembly (rather than just a bare PCB) is further encapsulated with polyurethane to provide a hermetic seal against water or solvents, provide UV resistance, or improve abrasion or shock resistance.