Monkeylectric's Tips for Bicycling in the Heat
Summer is upon us!
We all want to enjoy these beautiful days in the great outdoors and what better way to spend a nice day than on a bicycle?
Cycling is a great summertime activity but it is important to be aware of the risks of riding in hot weather.
Here are some tips from us to stay prepared this season.
- Use an insulated water bottle to keep liquids cold
- Use bike racks and panniers to keep the load on your bike and off your body
- Drink a lot of water
- Plan for your area: bring layers if it cools down at night
- Sweat wicking clothing that dries quickly
- Bring extra water
- If you are doing a long ride, bring electrolytes or consume salt
- Wear sunscreen to protect your skin
- Arm and leg warmers for sun protection and micro-climates
- Pour water on your head and forearms
- Don’t push yourself too hard
- Avoid riding in the hottest parts of the day
Remember, you may not be able to ride as hard or as far when it is really hot out so don't over exert yourself and above all remember to keep drinking water! And if you are out enjoying a nice summer evening ride, bring along a set of Monkeylights to stay visible while you beat the heat.
Stay safe and enjoy your summer!