Bicycle Wheel Display System
The Monkey Light Pro creates stunning images and animations within a bicycle wheel. Once you’re rolling the display fills the bike wheel and is visible from both sides. The Monkey Light Pro is waterproof and durable, and is designed for use on city streets. Crank your bike to eleven.
The Monkey Light Pro was successfully funded on Kickstarter. For a limited time you can still pre-order the Monkey Light Pro by clicking the links below. Earlier prototypes of the Monkey Light Pro were custom made for exhibits and developers only – you may have seen one at Maker Faire, Siggraph, Dragon’s Den, EuroBike, SXSW or at a museum.
Download images and animations to the Monkey Light Pro and display them while you ride. Use the web-based software to create a playlist with your own graphics, or choose from our collection of custom artwork. Then wirelessly send your playlist to the Monkey Light Pro.
Application developers are welcome. Our software and API are available with an open-source license. Make a moving installation with a bicycle, or use our SM1 powered display stand for fixed installations.
- 256 Ultra-bright, full color LEDs
- Full color circular display, 70 pixel diameter
- Download your own images and animations
- Pre-loaded with custom artwork
- Bluetooth wireless download and control
- Create playlists of images and animations
- Sensor stabilized display, fills the wheel from 15-65 km/h (10-40 mph)
- Double-sided, wide angle visibility
- IP55 Waterproof for use in all weather
- Durable solid rubber construction
- Stainless steel anti-theft strap
- Keeps wheel balanced
- Vibration proof mount
- Fits 26″ and larger bike wheels. Maximum hub diameter 58mm
- Built-in lithium battery, USB recharge
- Battery Runtime: 3-8 hours at full brightness, up to 48 hours at reduced brightness. Runtime depends on what graphics are shown.
- Completely contained within the bike wheel
- Made in California USA
- Web-based playlist creation. Download from Windows and Mac.
- Developer tools and API: runs on Mac and Linux
- Media format support: JPG, GIF, PNG, AVI, MPEG, MOV, QT, FLV, and more.
- On-board media storage: 1000 frames
- Playlist capabilities: Loop, time and sequence frames for infinite possibilities
- Visibility – Evening, overcast and indoors. Not visible in direct sunlight
- Integrated battery: 7000mAh Lithium Polymer rechargeable
- Colors: 4096
- Size: 520mm diameter, 25mm thick, 58mm center hole
- Weight: About 500g, even balance
- Wheel fit: 26″, 700c, 29″. Maximum hub diameter 58mm.
- Temperature: -10C to 45C
Many developers have already done amazing things with our prototypes:
- The Fukushima Wheel project outfitted a bike with pollution sensors. As you ride around, it collects data from the environment and displays it on the wheels.
- The Science Museum of Minnesota created an educational display.
- Our own staff created an interactive 3D spherical display (video below).
- The Museum of Brisbane made a video featuring the Monkey Light Pro (video below)